Friday, April 6, 2012

Film Score Friday! Clint Mansell - Last Night


There's two things you should know about Clint Mansell. The man is far too underrated, and he in my opinion is one of the best modern composers. His score for Darren Aronofsky's The Fountain is perfect. The work he did in Moon  was great! so when I stumbled upon this small 7 track score I was really intrigued. I'd never heard of this film so I looked up the trailer.




It's a more serious role for Sam Worthington, which I was a bit hesitant of at first, but honestly, judging solely by the trailer, it seems like he might have actually done a good job in this. It looks like a pretty depressing film, but I'm interested to see it.

As for the film score, it's great. It's all piano pieces that are depressingly gorgeous. Mansell is a master on the piano.

It starts out with a piece that is very reminiscent of Moonlight Sonata, but it  changes and becomes it's own darker depressing yet beautiful piece. 'Streets Of New York' involves drums and guitar a bit, and is the most upbeat song on the album. It's not super dark, and actually feels a bit optimistic. Following this piece we get slower and things calm down again. The score has this sort of repetitive nature that's a bit of a motif throughout. Which helps ties things together for sure, and gives it excellent atmosphere.

I feel like I'm repeating myself a little bit there, but I hope you get the gist of it. It's a really beautiful score and further proof that Clint Mansell is one of the best of our time. The score is free to hear on Spotify right now, so go give it a whirl!

No comments:

Post a Comment